Saturday, May 14, 2011

free

ben
"I suppose you killed someone. Or maybe you robbed a bank? Let me guess, you were accused guilty in a court for a crime you didn't do?" an inmate teases Ramon, a new prisoner, as they go to bed in a prison cell. But Ramon never reacts to the inmate at first.

The morning after, this inmate tries again to dig the case of Ramon while eating. "Come on, Ramon, tell me what happened? Did you hurt, rape, or kill someone? Did you burn a whole community? Tell me why you're here?" Still, Ramon keeps his mouth zipped.

A month has passed, and the inmate has forgotten why Ramon is behind bars. One night when Ramon is about to go to bed, he tells something to the cell-mate, "You know what, I like it here."

The inmate is stunned and replies, "Strange. Why you like it here?

Ramon answers, "Outside, no one cares about me. Outside, I need to beg for alms or food. Outside, I always worried where to go when rain was heavy.  Here, everything is free. I don't need to worry about having money. Here, I don't need to buy any. Here, I don't need to worry when rain comes because shelter is for free. Food,  library, education,sports are all available here without any cost. Bed, clothings...all is free." He suddenly paused for a moment.

Then he ends, "And these are the reasons why I am here."



No comments: