Saturday, April 23, 2011

need and love

ben
Which is more appropriate?

I love you because I need you or I need you because I love you?

Loving someone sometimes connotes needing someone. We can not ignore the fact that everyone needs someone to love and needs someone to love him (back). We love because there is something within us that says we need a person to be with for a short time or for a lifetime.

People need love. Most of the times, we need someone because we love that someone. According to my friend James, it is sweeter to hear that we need someone because we love that someone rather than we love someone because we need that someone.

Ideally, the second statement should be the more appropriate one. But as humans, we tend to love someone because we need him, whether  for material, emotional, sexual, or spiritual sake. We love that someone because we need him to be with us in good times and in bad times. Am I right?

Almost all lovers fancy the idea of needing someone becuase they love that someone. Funny how it seems that this is more of a standard of loving someone, yet, normally,  the first is being done by most of us.

As I asked this question to my friend, Ezekiel, he gave me a more interesting reply, "I love you and I need you."

No comments: