Sunday, October 16, 2011

a deep illness

ben
When I was a child, I wanted to have what other children had. If they had balloons, I asked my mom to buy me some of those. When some children had some toys, I urged my mom to buy toys similar to them. 

Now that I am a grown-up, I still want to have what others have. If my friend has a good pair of shoes, I also want to buy even better ones. If my neighbor buys a huge flat screen TV sets, my heart wants to have even more, like a movie theater constructed in my house. If a colleague has an expensive car, I want to have one as well surpassing what this co-worker has.

Being envious can be sometimes good and sometimes not. We envy good traits from people and we try to emulate them as much as we can. We envy their superb skills and talents wanting to have what they have as well. In this manner, it is sound. But, envy becomes bad when it is too much. When we want to have as much as others have materially, we may be on the wrong track. Envy becomes unhealthy when we focus much on surpassing others' assets or possessions.

Envy is a deep illness caused by  lack of appreciation, affection and satisfaction.


No comments: