Friday, February 11, 2011

'Yes, Grandpa.'

ben
‘Grandpa’, as all of us in the center called him, always wanted me to walk with him in a near basketball court. He loved watching some teenagers playing the game every afternoon after school. I thought he was a good basketball player when he was younger. He always held a ball with him whenever possible. Even his room was filled with poster of great basketball players of his times. I asked him, “Grandpa, maybe you were a star player when you were younger?” Later, he told me this line, “I was never a good basketball player. I never tried playing basketball.” He surprised me with those words that came out of his mouth. How come that a man of great dedication to basketball have never played basketball in his entire life? Granda continued, “When I was 10 I got an accident. The doctors had to cut off my feet.  It was one of the darkest moments of my life, but I had no choice. From then on, I could never play basketball. Inspite of my condition, I can still try to play. It is never too late. I am still alive. Am I right?” Saddened by the conversation, I slowly pushed his wheel chair again going to the court as I answered him, “Yes, Grandpa.”

No comments: