Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve

It is not holiday here right before Christmas. Work insists to be faced until sunset since I am due until 7 o'clock in the evening. Probably when I get home, I would skype with my family that is miles away from my room. If not, I may treat myself with a big dinner in my favorite restaurant.

As I am writing this one, I cannot stop but smile, thinking of the good old days during the Christmas season. Here are some:

My mother would always wanted to at least prepare even a single dish on Christmas Eve. Some Christmases, we ate just a pack of loaf bread with soft drinks. When money was quite abundant, of course, we prepared much food which could be eaten even two days after the celebration. There were also times that my family couldn't afford to have even one (my mom would just tell us to reserve everything on the eve of New Year) but the true essence of Christmas was felt and that was being together celebrating each other's triumphs and failures in life.

My sister, who inherits my mom's way of thinking during the holidays, has never neglected to provide something on the table on Christmas Eve. With her husband and two young boys and my mom, Christmas has always been merry at home. Sometimes when the first of the two boys had difficulty waking up on Christmas Eve, my sister had to urge him up, then we ate, and be together until one by one fell into slumber. The younger one, who is always playfully stubborn, has got to get out to meet his cousins, and lit some fireworks which always caused my mom to get worried until he would have not gone home.

Celebrating Christmas is not only about the food we prepare on the 24th. It is not only about the gifts or presents we give and receive. Christmas is a celebration of love and joy in the family that food, presents, or money can't buy. It is a celebration of gratitude towards each other in the family.

If there is really nothing to put on the table this Christmas Eve, fill our homes with love instead. Pure joy is felt when genuine love is present in the family. 

Wow! My eyes can't hold my tears anymore. I cry not because I am regretful, but it is because I feel this unconditional love coming from my family all the way across the sea. I may be far away from them but my heart  is with them incessantly this Christmas Holidays!


No comments: