Wednesday, December 4, 2013

my ordinary kite

Since nylon string was quite expensive during my time, I used to untangle fish net until I had combined a very long set of string of different colors. Then, I round this string on an empty can of sardines. Once the string was ready, I began to choose some thin but sturdy broomsticks at the back of the house. Then, I cut and designed newspaper, or if none, just plain paper. When all materials were ready, I had to get a pinch or two of leftover rice for gluing-- the edges, the middle-- until I came up with a beautiful possession. The unused strips of paper which were not that cut so evenly were placed  at the lower part of it as tail. 

I was just a simple kid. My family was not well-off to afford expensive toys. Since home was quite near to an open field in our village, when seasons turned sunny and windy, I used to make very ordinary kites.

In the field, at first,  I had to spread the kite on the ground and its tail, then walked to a certain distance, and finally pulled the kite until it got steadily flying up in the air. Once the kite happily moved up above, I enjoyed releasing more of  the string in order for the kite to get higher and farther.

There was one time when the sun hastily wanted to go to the west  as I was lying in the middle of the field and looking at my kite, I began to imagine to have flown a bigger and more beautiful kite. I prayerfully dreamed of being  a kite connoisseur with more colorful papers and stronger nylon strings.

I only knew how to make and fly an ordinary kite. I only dreamed of being a simple kite flyer. Now, I am maneuvering a bigger one that stays in the air even a day or two. It is really huge that it can also carry many people. It may not have colorful papers or strong nylon string but this big kite has become the color and stanchion of my life for so many years now.




No comments: