Friday, May 17, 2013

the desire to be rich

"Why I was not born rich?"

This question came across my mind as I was folding my clothes while watching a dramatic soap opera on TV. If I were rich, I would not have to put these clothes on again and again like every other day. I could shop for much clothes as I want and I don't need to wash them when they smell  like sweat or get yellowish.

I think that most people have this eagerness in their hearts to be rich. What would my life be like if I were affluent? Had I been one, I would have travelled many famous destinations around the world. I might have owned a car or two which really cost an arm and a leg. I could afford to buy houses in some areas near my hometown.

Why in everyday that I work, I cannot get rich? I do a job; I save some money for the future but that's all and I cannot consider myself rich.

I have spent one-third of my life being mortal and I can't seem to experience the meaning of affluence.

But as I watch and see the rich, their lives seem to be difficult. Some of them are addicted into substances. Some are delinquent. Some are engaged in dirty jobs and tricks. Some have disordered families. Some are haughty, rough, and flamboyant. Etc...etc... Worse, they seem to have been living in a  rat's nest.

I am starting the second half of my life. Should I still desire to be rich?


No comments: