Wednesday, January 23, 2013

love and obsession

Love means a great attachment to and affection for someone and obsession is defined as any action which engrosses the mind. When I feel this great affection towards someone and at the same time I am engrossed to someone do you think I am obsessively in love?

The thin line between love and obsession is so marginal. If I think of the natures of both words, they are almost connected and comparable to each other. It is difficult to determine where to draw a border between the two subjects.

Obsession is an insatiable longing to possess someone as the object of affection. Is it the same in love? I strongly believe that I have all the rights to long for and to be longed by someone and to love or to be loved by someone. Obsession is a fixation and so as love is a fixation towards someone I feel affection with.

According to some researchers and experts, obsession can be dangerous when it becomes worse. It can turn out to be a disorder if I am overtaken by socially coined contravening feelings like resentment or jealousy. Does it mean that if obsession goes steady it isn't really bad? In this case, technically, obsession is just as normal as love.

I guess, the question lies on how I can handle my obsession when I love someone. Since obsession is a persistent impulse to want or own something or someone, I must know how to calm or treat it. 

What are your thoughts regarding love and obsession? Do you think they are connected? Can you think of a fine line that pushes the two terms to be different from each other?

No comments: